Thursday, January 13, 2011

ringing in the new, grandma times two!

I can't believe it's been a month since I posted something. Things are always crazy at the end of the semester, and this last one was no exception.

I'm still grading a dozen or so short papers from last semester. Those students are in internships and received temporary INC grades to finish their hours in the agency, so I put off reading the rest of their work, but now I have to get to it. Ugh.

And I seriously have to finish my syllabi -- at this point, they are only about half done. And I only just ordered the textbooks yesterday, so I have no idea if they'll be here for the first day of class.

My academic program coordinator is out of the country for the next week and a half, and I've been given the honor of signing on her behalf while she's gone. I love that she came to me instead of the other junior prof who just got tenure. She clearly trusts me more with making decisions about overtallying courses (in our dept., individual profs don't make that choice -- the dept is trying to avoid enrollment creep) and changes of majors, and even meeting with another college about developing an articulation. And I don't even have tenure yet!

My new year started with me spending a whole week with my son, grandson, daughter-in-law, and step-grandson -- and my rugrat, of course. I met the in-laws, we did lunch with my mother, and we had three friends (we've known them for 30 years but haven't seen them for several) come for coffee. I can't begin to describe how lovely the visit was, and how incredible my grandson is. I have lots of photos on the face place, so come check them out. And an announcement: grandbaby number two is in development and will arrive next summer!



It's funny, but I've never liked crowds, or even small groups of people, for long periods of time. As an adult, I've never lived with more than my two rugrats. But I enjoyed the full house (albeit a rather large house at 3100 sf), and my little apt seemed rather lonely when I got back. My first day back I spent at the movie theatre rather than at home alone. But I think I'm back to normal now. I'll leave you with a photo of my son's backyard; beyond the fence is county land and the little spokane river. Gorgeous!


No comments: