Friday, March 05, 2010

girls, girls, girls

Not a typical post title for me, since I'm not into girls at all. But I went to see a play tonight, and the actors were from the Queen's Company, billed as NYC's all-female classical theatre company. Can I just say they are fucking incredible?! What talent! And apparently, many of the cast appear without monetary compensation.

The play I saw was The Wonder, something originally circa 1700s England -- old language, quick wit, humour you have to think about -- with some hilarious 21st century tweaks.

I absolutely, positively, haven't had that much fun in a very, very long time. I'm seriously considering buying another ticket to see it again before its run ends.

Screw Broadway, dudes, off-off-Broadway is where it's at!

On another completely unrelated note, I worked out again today despite a full day at work and the play after; I wedged it in between the two.

This is day four, two in the pool, two in the gym (treadmill & weights). I like the pool better; since it's lower impact, I can get my heart rate up higher painlessly. The treadmill & elliptical cause some serious shin and knee pain.

I seem to be down a couple of pounds, but it's early. One more week, and I'll pull out the tape measure. As the doc says, the waist is more important than the weight.

Still running out of time grading student work. I had planned to put aside one day a week this semester for the MFD 'cause I have a course release to do research, but damn...I don't know where the time goes every freakin' weekend. I'm working on it, but it's so constantly overwhelming.

And ironically, the stress/pressure/too much to do is about all the things one has to do to ultimately get tenure in addition to teaching. All the extra work is keeping me from the MFD, and yet of course I won't get tenure without the MFD completed.

As David Bowie said in Labyrinth, "I am exhausted from living up to your expectations of me."

(photo from the queen's company website)

No comments: