Sunday, November 09, 2008

they only come out at night

So we got the little red car that couldn't back five weeks to the day after the accident. It looked like new (see?), and ran well.



Two days later we had to do the annual state inspection (for you non-New Yorkers, downstate inspections are quite fierce). We were nervous, but it passed, thank goodness.

Then last night, on the way home from driving rugrat and her boyfriend to the airport to board a plane to Puerto Rico for a week-long tropical cruise courtesy of the boyfriend's mother, the check engine light came on.

Sigh.

Work remains as crazy as usual. Still teaching 3 courses, serving on two high profile committees with a lot of responsibility, advising a student club, and participating in a faculty development training on writing across the curriculum, so that the writing intensive classes that I'm already teaching can get official WI status.

And that's not counting all the little things that come up, like student advising, student letters of recommendation, adjunct observations, etc. I love the hell out of it, but it takes a lot out of me. I leave home at 8 in the morning, and don't get home till 10 or 11 that night. I can't wait till I can move into the city and knock a good 2.5 to 3 hours off that time.

I met a fellow blogger the week before halloween, and showed her Ellen's Stardust Diner in Times Square, where the waitstaff -- budding broadway stars -- entertain the audience. We had a great time, and she told me I didn't look at all like a frumpy, middle-aged professor.



On halloween, rugrat and her bf came into the city for the parade. I met them for dinner at dallas bbq on42nd, they went to the parade, I went to a movie, and then we met up again dessert at coldstone's, followed by a packed subway ride home. I snapped some fairly good shots that night - -I hope I can post them soon.



Health-wise, I'm back on synthroid for the goiter, and hoping that will even out the hormones some. I've felt a bit wonky for a couple of months now, and I'm not sure what it is. I keep getting headaches that are strangely reminiscent of my bout with viral encephalitis 20 years ago, along with some serious physical exhaustion that has me conking out whenever I get a chance to sit for more than a few minutes. I know I'll need to tell the doc about it soon if it doesn't go away.

The pain that I've had in my knees and hips has become worse, and while we haven't done any tests yet, the doc is suggesting it is likely osteoarthritis. The most common methods of treating the symptoms? Ibuprofen and...exercise. Yes, working out through the pain. I've been walking through the pain, but I don't think I can do anything that would go too much beyond that. And I won't tell you how many bottles of ibuprofen I've been through in the last few months.

But, to use a term from the 70's, I keep on truckin'. I still have that smile on my face every day, I still love my work, and I still have hope that the health issues will work themselves out.

I miss like hell not being able to really 'write' here like I used to. Even a simple people-watching post would do me good -- I've seen so much in my daily commute. Ah, well...I imagine my personal writing will be something that happens mainly when I'm in between semesters. I'll just have to keep it all in my head until then.

muddy waters, johnny winter, et al:



and another...blues doesn't get any better than this:

1 comment:

Infinitesimal said...

regarding the post below, I have an adopted mixed race daughter. She has Tribal Indian, Afro American (black panther relation), and Irish in her.

Her mom had a serious undiagnosable brain disease and is now basically in hospice far away.

I have been this child's mentor for as long as we have been blogging here, plus... about five years now.

And she voted for the first time, and it was special.

RE: above post, I hope all is well soon.

your job is sucking the life out of you and my relationship is sucking the life out of me.

i am seeking advice and have answered your bear question in post form.

nobody i know has given me a read, and i been posting believe it or not, so if you want to come give me advice, i could use some.