Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the multiple personality blog

I read a new blog today, and I like it. It’s in my side bar now. I found it through a blog I read fairly regularly and also like…except for the $65 a day juice cleanse. From the new blog I clicked into another new blog, only to discover someone is having some new version of liposuction done in anticipation of a blogging event out west. Problem is, she’s probably half my size and has no fat to suck. And half the commenters were all ‘fuck eating right and exercise, just suck out the fat and tuck my tummy.’ What does that say about me...40 pounds overweight and trying to lose it the hard way?

Hell, if I had $65 a day for juice – or bucks for fat sucking – I wouldn’t be selling off the elliptical and the LMSW study guides on craig’s list to make money to get new rear brakes shoes on the 10 year old car that rugrat now drives. And I say again: aaahh, middle class. Where you get help with nothing and can’t afford anything. And I worked so hard to get here from poverty. I’m considered a ‘success’ story in most circles. Really, I am. Go figure.

Anyway, it’s made me think about where this blog is going, or where I meant it to go when I first started it (I have no clue). It can’t really be a mommy blog, since the youngest is an adult now. I suppose I could regale everyone with stories about how rugrat 1 called mowing the lawn ‘lawn the mow,’ or ‘deeker-seeker’ was day care center.

Or that rugrat 2 calls me a Mexican trapped in a white woman’s body, or how she came home last night all excited about the website she’d found that could figure out how many calories we need to retain our current weight and how many we need to limit ourselves to if we want to lose weight. ‘Cause I never could have figured that out on my own. Now she’s in food-intake-diary land, recording every bite she eats and when she works out and how much. She’s working hard to lose excess pounds the hard way…the cheap way…the we-have-no-$-for-fat-sucking-or- tummy-tucking-or-juice-cleansing way.

It seems that to have a ‘popular’ blog with lots of readers you need four things: some writing skill, a good sense of humour, a theme (mommy blog, political blog, etc), and the ability to write daily lest your readers move on to other, more prolific blogs. Fickle readers! I should publicly thank the whole two readers who still come back here, despite the intense, darker posts about my childhood…the whiny health posts…the occasional funny posts…the few and far between posts.

Anyway, I don’t suppose I have any of those things in abundance, so this blog will always be hodgepodge of whatever : abdphdstudent-professor-mami-child- advocate-formerwelfarerecipient. And it will never be ‘popular’ in the sense of many readers/commenters. Which I suppose is the definition of popular, huh?

6 comments:

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

First of all, I love your split-personality blog. Secondly, the fat sucking so far does not work. Except possibly to make me suck more. That seems to be working.

Ony said...

I like hodgepodge. I'm a terrible commenter, however.

Spring said...

Oh my god, I can't believe you found this! I hope you could tell that it was a joke. I'm never sure if the humour comes across.

Spring said...

ony, no problem. I'm not so good at comments myself. :)

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I thought it was totally funny. For real. Even if it wasn't meant to be. That's the good thing about being weird. I just read everything the way I think I want to read it at the moment. That's why all my newspapers say "Buy more shoes, Jenny!" instead of "Global warming studies show crap is getting hot" or whatever it really says.

Ladyk73 said...

I just think the blog has personality diorder NOS...

j/k