Friday, May 23, 2008

primal scream

IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I submitted the final grades and class rosters to the registrar this afternoon.

I officially survived my first year of full-time teaching.

And I survived it despite:

--a blood clot
--anticoagulants
--uncontrolled bleeding due to the above
--a 2.5-3 hour round trip daily commute by public transport in all kinds of weather
--a botched MFD proposal defense
--financial setbacks
--multiple car repairs
--teaching rugrat to drive
--rugrat turning 18
--gaining more weight

In fact, I not only survived it, I THRIVED. I fucking LOVED IT!

Ok, so I'm not completely through yet:

--there's an honors program/banquet on tuesday evening and some of my students will be recognized
--there's an academic senate meeting wednesday and we've been encouraged to attend and try to get voted onto various committees to meet the 'service to the college' aspect of the tenure process
--graduation ceremonies are the 30th at madison square garden, and I offered to help...another chance for service to the college
--I'll be teaching a section of field experience in the fall so I get to spend the summer finding placements in human services agencies

And there's the studying for, and taking, the licensing exam.

And re-writing the MFD proposal.


BUT WHO FUCKING CARES!!!
IT'S A THREE-DAY WEEKEND!!!
AND THE WEATHER IS FUCKING GORGEOUS!!!


What should I do first?

--Sleep, of course.
--Then start working out...my goal is to drop 25 over the summer.
--Read...for fucking PLEASURE.
--See the new indiana jones movie.
--Go for walks.
--Maybe, just maybe, go dig my bike out of the storage room the landlord has the nerve to call a 'garage' and give it a try.

Right now, I'm celebrating with my favorite stuffed pie pizza and some soda -- and not diet soda. And some shrimp parmigiana. My last hurrah in the big bad food world.

And I'm also celebrating with some Alice. Who I saw in concert, back in '75 or so.

'Cause SCHOOL'S OUT!!!!!!!!!!


4 comments:

MacGregor Rucker said...

I'd say that's a cause for celebration! Well done.

Spring said...

Hey, I know you! I read your blog. ;) Thanks, I'm feeling pretty darned good right now. Whooo hooo!

fellahere said...

HEYYYYYYYYYYYY!

curious said...

Contrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!