Saturday, May 10, 2008

I'm 18 and I like it!

So the rugrat turned 18 today.

She wanted to do something really big like a party in a rented hotel party room thing complete with food and dj, but of course there's that whole money thing.

So she settled for a barbecue for a dozen or so friends of hers and her boyfriend. And of course, it rained all day long here, so the barbecue got moved indoors. We can do that because my grill is electric, and the top comes off the stand and can be used on the countertop.

I brought my papers home to grade so I could leave work early and make a stop for food and cake at costco -- $100 later I was on my way home.

I played the good, non-embarrassing mom, staying out of the way unless I was called to help with something. Her boyfriend was cool and introduced every friend to me, and even made them come in and say thanks and goodbye when they left.

I was not invited in for the cake and birthday song, but her boyfriend made sure that I got a piece of cake. He's a good guy, that bf.

They are all out at the local pool hall hanging out now, and I just finished cleaning up the kitchen.

It is totally freaking me out that my baby rugrat is an adult now. And after a houseful of youngsters for a few hours, it is strangely, eerily quiet around these parts.

Sometimes I just wish life would slow the fuck down a bit. You know what I mean?

Alice Cooper, I'm 18 (I went with a 70's version, since that's when I saw him in concert):

No comments: