Friday, March 28, 2008

upping the ante

So the virus that has made his permanent home in my lungs and sinuses for a week now has apparently decided he needed a summer condo on the beach...better known as my intestinal tract. But he seems to have left some friends hanging at home, while he visited the summer home.

Imagine, if you will, standing in front of a class of 30 students, throat raw, frequent coughing, nose still in that nasal sound and peeling skin phase, a mild headache, nausea, and a bit of disequilibrium that makes it feel like 'the earth moves under my feet.'

Imagine feeling that way and having to teach for 2 hours and 45 minutes straight. The subject matter? Social insurance programs and policies.

And you spent 3 hours in a hot, airless office prepping for class beforehand.

And you have a commute home on nausea-inducing public transportation.

With a stop off at Target to pick up some serious necessities.

You should try it some time.

No, seriously...give it a try.

I double-dog-dare-you.

I now get to read reflections papers that two of my professional social work skills development classes wrote about the movie Nell and how it relates to our classwork.

Then I get to make yet more edits to my dissertation proposal, thanks to my ever-lovin' committee chair. The proposal defense is firm now, and has been 'advertised' to the student and faculty population of the school of social work. Did I not mention it was open for people outside the committee to attend? Yeah. It is. But no pressure.

Then when those edits are done, I get to finish creating the 20 minute powerpoint presentation that I will give at the beginning of my defense, just before the question and answer period.

So, I will remain perpetually behind on comment and email responses. Sorry folks.

And I am off now to make myself some more cream of wheat cereal...which is about all I can handle right now.

And I wonder...with the virus' permanent homes and his summer residence, what the fuck will I do if he decides he really really wants a winter ski lodge getaway?

2 comments:

Bear Able said...

I myself am just coming out of a similar bout, one that saw me spend 3 days in the hospital, not because of it per se, more fue to my sugars going ballistic from me not medicating properly cause i wasnt eating so therefore neglecting the insulin and orals. I can appreciate the Cream of wheat thingie. have been having that for breakfast for the last three weeks myself. Thankfully, I seem to have come out it significantly the last two days, and am wondering if it had anything to do with the onion soup I made with the roughly 40 cloves of minced garlic. Best hopes for ya to be rid of the pesty bug ASAP, and Good Luck with the MFD defense. You'll do well, I am sure of it!

ladyk73 said...

Are you feeling better?