Friday, February 01, 2008

sometimes warm and dry is all you need. well, almost...

It rained buckets today. And I hadn't expected it to be so wet, so of course I was wearing totally the wrong coat. Not my water-resistant raincoat. No, not with my luck. I wore my down-filled coat today 'cause it was a bit cold this morning.

Did I mention that not all winter coats are water-resistant? Especially in consistent downpours.

I didn't have classes today, but went into the office anyway to prep for next week's classes. I'm finding that teaching my courses the second time is leaving me time to do more prep and find opportunities to teach with things like group activities, so that I don't fall back on lecture like I wound up doing way too much of last semester. I'm actually having 'fun' looking for meaningful activities that will bring home the lesson from the text in a way that lecture just doesn't.

So I arrived at work soaking wet after a train ride that began at 9 am, with bags of groceries in hand. I spent a half-hour at the grocery next to the office to buy stuff so I wouldn't be tempted to hit the taco bell and mickie d's next week. I actually bought things like salad and fresh fruit and kashi cereal.

Today I ate some chicken salad, and a container of cantaloupe, honeydew, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, and pineapple. It was probably enough for three or four servings of fruit, but as I snacked while I worked, I kept telling myself that a spicy chicken crunchwrap would have been so much worse for me than a quadruple portion of fresh fruit.

I eventually dried off -- which was helped by the fact that our office has no ventilation and is so overly warm that I plan to buy a desk fan pronto -- and put in a full day's work. And walked outside at 6 pm to an even worse downpour. I was drenched just getting the two blocks to the subway. The rain soaked through my coat and the sweater top underneath, and splashed up my legs to my knees.

I was wet to my skin, clothes sticking to me, and the weight of the water in my pant legs began to ever-so-slightly pull the waistband of my pants lower. So when I got off the subway at marble hill, I would slosh a few steps and tug at my trousers. And coming down the subway stairs (it's elevated at that spot) the covered stairs had a flaw at the end that caused all the rain to come down over the stairs from the roof like a waterfall that we all had to walk through to get to the sidewalk.

I had promised the rugrat I would stop at target after work to pick up a cable tv wire, as the one linking her telly to cable wasn't working. She can't sleep without the tv on low, and with hers not working, she's been sleeping in the living room for three nights now. A promise is a promise. And I didn't want to wake up again tomorrow to her on my sofa.

So I sloshed through the downpour for two more blocks to target and picked up her cable and an alarm clock. 'Cause hers stopped working and she's been using her cell phone to try to get up to in the AM.

As I hit the checkout, I noticed a certain something that I thought I would need when I got home and added it to the pile. And then I noticed the snack bar. And the personal pan pizza. Hot and steamy. And I thought, boy will that hit the spot when I get home. So I bought one and wrapped it well in plastic bags to keep it from getting soggy in the rain. And then went back out into the downpour one more time to catch the train the rest of the way home.

I sat in the seat making a nice puddle on the floor, and all I could think about was getting home and getting dry. Ever notice how much longer a trip takes when you want to be there worse than just about anything?

When I got up at my stop, I left the seat visibly wet as well. Oh well. I had a three-block walk home, so who cares about the seat.

The cold air hit me as I stepped off the train. It wasn't raining so hard here, just sprinkling. But it was colder. Lots colder. Cold enough to see my breath. How different the weather can be in just 7 short train stops.

So now, I was wet to my skin, and the cold set in. As did shivers. I really began to get grumbly at that point. The wet was one thing, but wet and then cold...damn. At least it was just a few blocks. I carried my bag carefully so that the pizza wouldn't tip and the toppings and cheese slide off.

Home at last! After dodging ankle deep puddles on the apartment walkway, I pulled the key from my pocket, where I'd had the foresight to put it while on the train so I wouldn't have to fumble for it in my handbag standing at the front door in the dark. 'Cause the porch light hasn't worked since we moved in 10 years ago. But the landlord has 'fixed' it twice.

Up the stairs to my room, where I strip off everything carefully, as it's stuck to my skin. The only thing that gets hung up is my coat. The rest is still in a pile on my bedroom floor. I'll worry about it later.

I dry my skin and throw on wonderfully dry clothes, heat my little pizza, curl up on the sofa with a comforter and portable heater, open the bottle of soda I picked up, and then...the highlight of the evening...the dove chocolate bar.

Although I'm warmer, I'm still not there. I'll be sleeping with my heated mattress pad on tonight for sure. But at least the day is over. Sometimes it is so damned good to be home.

1 comment:

fellahere said...

Reminds me of a song by Gerry Rafferty called Home And Dry. It's on that album with Baker Street on it. I used to play it on the radio a lot.

I find that fruit is a great filler-upper but I have to fight off the pizza urge myself.