Tuesday, May 01, 2007

omg, look what I just read!

We are currently involved in a study to examine the relationship between gastroesophageal reflux and sleep apnea, based on an emerging theory that gastroesophageal reflux is worsened by sleep apnea.

This is from the web page of the sleep center where I have my first appointment next week. I've had sleep apnea problems for years, and the last year and a half, my acid reflux has become worse and worse. What if the two are connnected? What if, by taking care of the apnea, the reflux goes away too? How awesome would that be?

We already know that sleep apnea can cause problems with weight gain, especially around the middle. And high blood pressure, too. I'm beginning to daydream about how I'll feel physically when this is dealt with, and it just lightens my mood so much.

I am so excited that my appointment is next week. I initially see one of the docs at the pulmonary center to go over all my symptoms, then we'll schedule the night when I go in to be observed while I sleep. If I can get to sleep while being observed, that is. I've waited so long. Hell, I made the appoinment last fall, and this was the first available appointment. But yeah...I am truly excited about finally getting this taken care of.

No comments: