Monday, April 30, 2007

in which there will be a huge fucking delay in finishing the MFD

Been working on the MFD, am making even more changes to suit the committee members.

Having some problems with the independent variables and how to operationalize them. Emailed members about it, haven't heard back.

Should have a new draft (#6, btw) in a day or two if I hear back from them soon.

But bad news anyway. My proposal has to be submitted to the uni's IRB (internal review board), and the research portion (data collection and analysis) must be approved by them before I do the work.

It's standard at most uni's, to be sure that I'm not taking advantage of vulnerable populations. With me, it's more of a formality as I'm doing a secondary data analysis, not collecting the data myself. But it's still a required step.

I can't submit a request to the IRB until the proposal has been successfully defended.

Problem is, the IRB is closed during the summer. All requests must be submitted by May 14, or it will have to wait until after September 1.

There is no way, since the committee still has me making changes, that I will be able to successfully defend the proposal before May 14.

Which means that after I defend the proposal, probably in late May, I'll get to twiddle my thumbs until September, when I can submit the proposal to the IRB for approval.

Only then can I begin work on the second part of the MFD.

Who the fuck knew that the IRB would shut down for 3 1/2 months, anyway?

I have entered the Twilight Zone of MFDs. And I shall never find my way back out again.

No comments: