Monday, November 27, 2006

things are not good all over, and a repost of a blog challenge from last year

I'm signed on to an email list with the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities in Washington, DC, and I received this in the mail yesterday:

AS HOLIDAYS APPROACH, DATA SHOW HIGH RATES OF HARDSHIP FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS AND LATINOS
by Arloc Sherman

A new Center analysis of data on hardships faced by American families — based on an annual survey the Administration plans to eliminate this fiscal year — shows that between one-fourth and one-third of all African American and Latino citizen families experience difficulty affording food, lack needed medical care, and/or live in overcrowded conditions.

Twenty-eight percent of African American families with children, and 31 percent of families headed by a Latino citizen, experience at least one of the above three hardships at some point during the year, according to the survey. This is double the rate for non-Latino white families with children (14 percent). This disparity largely reflects the fact that poverty rates are several times higher for African American and Latino families than for white families.

Press Release:
http://www.cbpp.org/11-21-06pov-pr.htm
http://www.cbpp.org/11-21-06pov-pr.pdf 1pp.

Full Analysis:
http://www.cbpp.org/11-21-06pov.htm
http://www.cbpp.org/11-21-06pov.pdf 6pp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember a year ago, when things were going so horribly for me, that I had to pull myself out of myself and focus on the world around me.

One of the things I did (I was still blogging on the other site then) was to challenge everyone who read my post to do something for someone else. Something, anything, however big or small the action.

Well, I figure this is a bigger blogland than where I was a year ago, and I get more visitors overall than I did there. So, this should catch on quite nicely, right?

Let's call it the "Do Something for Someone" challenge.

Will you do something for someone?


And pass the word along to your readers?

No comments: