Sunday, October 22, 2006

in her words

Rugrat wrote a paper that counted as credit for both her fashion design course and her english course. I just found a copy of it sitting by the 'puter. Here's what she wrote, word for word -- I've edited nothing.

Beauty cannot be described with one simple description. There is no one particular type of beauty. Being beautiful doesn't have to do with only physical characteristics and your appearance, but also what's inside and how you treat others. Beauty is not the "model look", where everyone is 6 feet tall and weighs less than 130 pounds. Beauty is not being one ethnicity and having a certain color skin or hair color. Beauty can only be described how you personally think it is. Like the saying says, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

I personally believe beauty is how you carry yourself and how you treat others around you. I think that you can be 100 pounds and be beautiful or be 200 pounds and be beautiful either way. A person can be black, white, brown, or anything and still be beautiful. In my opinion, you need to have self esteem to be beautiful, you have to tell yourself you are beautiful and believe it and you have to believe others when they say you're beautiful. In order to be beautiful, you have to believe it yourself, otherwise others will not think so.

I don't think the media should be portraying the perfect image as being super skinny, because there is no perfect image. Everyone is beautiful in their own ways, and everyone has imperfections even the models. I think that people's imperfections are what makes them beautiful and unique. If we were all the same, then everyone would be boring.

There are many reasons as to what is beautiful about myself and for the most part, they do not have to do with my appearance. I think that my Mexican heritage is something very beautiful about me. I think that when you can embrace your heritage and be so proud and prideful about it makes you very beautiful, especially when your country is one that isn't always put very high, like Mexico. It also makes me special because living in New York there isn't a huge population of Mexicans like there is Puerto Ricans or Dominicans, so it just makes me more unique than a lot of Latinos who live in New York. Another thing is that I'm proud of the way I look. Even though I'm not a size 2, like people think everyone should look, I still take pride in myself. I would rather be the way I am now than look like a model.

Update: rugrat told me last night that she got a 92% on this assignment.

5 comments:

A Good Knights Journey said...

sounds like a very sounds mentality to me. Kudos!

Curious_2b_sub said...

Can I have some of what she's got?

~curious

WistfulWench said...

Spring, you have got to be so proud to read that! What a great outlook for her to have....

Spring said...

Hey, I don't know where she got it from, but I could use some of it myself, lol.

lovelyand said...

Cool,

package should arrive tomorrow....

you changed to beta?
it's infini