Friday, July 21, 2006

onward and upward

Spent a few hours in the library today, and while I didn't get a lot done, I did make a respectable dent in the variables section. This is the section in which I operationalize the variables; state the variable level i.e. categorical/interval; identify the independent, dependent, modifying, and potential confounding variables; and describe the attributes of each variable.

I had thought it would be difficult, but it's going much more quickly than I'd thought. My toughest section will be my intended plan of data analysis. I have to describe how I'll change some of the variables, from interval to categorical, for example; exactly which analyses I'll be doing, and what I expect to find. I'm so not looking forward to that.

Although actually, the relevance to the field section will be the worst. How in the hell do I justify what I'm doing? In the back of my mind, I keep thinking 'I'm just doing it cause it seems doable.' How will what I'm doing affect the profession? It won't, really. I don't think it will have any impact at all on the world. So I have to really bullshit through that one.

No comments: