Sunday, May 07, 2006

sweet sixteen

Rugrat will be 16 on Tuesday. Yesterday, we did the budget-challenged version of a trip to the beauty salon -- SuperCuts. She wanted to cut some layers in her very long hair, around her face. She also wanted her eyebrows done.

I'd been putting off the eyebrow wax, as that was the last bit of her that wasn't quite grown up. The slightly bushy, slightly unruly eyebrows were the only thing that hadn't been makeup'd or gelled or styled within an inch of her life. So I could look at her face, see those brows, and know she was still my little girl.

But yesterday, after the brow wax and the hair style, she was my little girl no longer. As she walked to the front of the salon, I couldn't stop looking at her. The change was incredible. She already looked older than her age, but now...she's 16 going on 25.

4 comments:

fellahere said...

I got a lil water in my eye.

WistfulWench said...

It's so scary how quickly they grow up. My oldest niece just had her first broken heart last week. I can't believe she's 15 already....

BrooklynCowboy said...

Isn't it amazing how fast they grow?? I remember when my oldest daughter got married (almost 6 years ago). Talk about 'tears' my goodness....... Oh well, that's life! I wouldn't want it any other way.

Spring said...

fella, you are too sweet.

wistful, it's funny how I've been angling to get her off to college, but now I'm feeling it differently.

brooklyn, it really is. My son (26) was married one year ago, and it still amazes me that he's a married man considering having children.