Friday, March 24, 2006

male company will be a pleasant relief in this hothouse of female emotions

I totally fucking adore a good love story. Last night I caught a fav on cable: The Man from Snowy River. It's a not quite oldie, but a goodie. Released in 1982, it's the typical 'boy becomes man while girl becomes woman and nothing will keep them apart even though her father tries' story. But the story is solid, the filming excellent, and the location -- Victoria, Australia -- about as beautiful as it gets.

Perhaps one of the things that draws me to the movie is the gorgeous guy sitting a horse and snapping that long whip. Swinging it in the air 'round his head, you can hear it sing, then he brings it right down low with a loud pop. There's even a scene on the mountain when he is rescuing her, and he drops the handle of his whip down to her, wraps the tight end around his hands, and the scene cuts just as he is pulling her up to safety.

Trivia from imbd:

"The Man From Snowy River" was a poem written by A.B. "Banjo" Patterson, and published in The Bulletin, 26 April 1890. The man from snowy river is immortalized to this day on the Australian $10 note.


source

source

5 comments:

fellahere said...

Ah, the whip and the western motif.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but there were a number of TV westerns and side characters who only carried a whip. I think there were one or two female characters of this ilk as well.

Words and a whip. Leaves a very strong impression.

I had a whip! Damn, spring, I just remembered that, just now! I was probably 8-9-10 and I won it at some contest tied in to a tv show. Or at a matinee on a saturday. Or a carnival. Yup, I think it was at the fair. I marveled at the lacing and interweaving of the leather. It was probably about 10 feet long.

Beth said...

I love this movie. It has been ages since I have seen it.

Now I have the urge to call around and see if I can find a copy to rent.

Beth :)

Curious_2b_sub said...

I remember loving that movie when it came out...

God, I'm old...

Spring said...

fella, ha ha! I wonder how many kids toys brought people to where they are as adults.

The whip is one of the few 'toys' that I have not experienced, so I'm sure I romanticize it too much, lol.

Spring said...

beth, curious, I actually bought the movie back when we had a vcr, but now, with the dvd player, I haven't been able to replace all my fav movies yet. I guess I need to get a dvd recorder, so I can record the movies when they play on the telly.

This is definitely one of my all time favs.