Tuesday, February 14, 2006

song of love


Cesca had responded on the other site to a love song tag, and instead of going with songs, she chose a book from the bible. While she said the book of psalms, I think what she meant was the book of the songs of solomon. Love verses in the bible. How hot is that. And they truly are hot, if you can read them with an understanding of the context and time. Cesca's post inspired me to google the songs of solomon...to read them once again. It has been a long time. 'Mushy' the verse may be, but hey...it is valentine's day.



Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.
Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.

His left hand is under my head, and his right hand doth embrace me.

My beloved spoke, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come

Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speech is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within thy locks.
Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.

His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, and fitly set.
His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers: his lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.
His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend.


2 comments:

fellahere said...

oh no. my secret has been revealed.
my written adorations and the style of my tributes were copied from the bible.

Spring this was lovely, I've never read this before. Thank you.

Spring said...

fella, one could do worse than quoting the bible. I'm agnostic for the most part, but I'm open minded enough to see the beauty in some of the writing. Solomon's writing is indeed lovely.

Also, the book of psalms, the one Cesca originally mentioned, is worth a read. Is it David who wrote this one? It's basically love verse written to god, but it's nicely done.