Tuesday, November 15, 2005

memories

A recent blog about chicken and dumplings made me think about why it's been so long since I made it. And I think part of it has to do with what I call 'poor food.'

Poor food is the food we used to have to eat when the kids and I were really poor. Things like mac and cheese, and those Ramen noodles. For the most part, I don't cook or eat things anymore that I associate with the poor years. Cause that was when we ate what we had, like it or not, and were grateful to have it.

Chicken and dumplings is one of those poor foods for me. I think I was the queen of making a 2 or 3 pound fryer into meals for two for a work/school week.

Day 1: Roast chicken and potatoes, always a fav
Day 2: A chicken casserole with anything available thrown in
Day 3 and 4: Chicken soup, again with anything available thrown in
Day 5: Boiling the last of the chicken off the bones for chicken and dumplings, cause we saved our second fav for last

So, it's a reminder of rougher, tougher years. And yeah, of course I used to cook--I had to. But even the act of cooking itself became a reminder of those rougher, tougher years. And I walked away from it as soon as I could financially swing it.

But now, here I am. Cooking again. And largely out of necessity. And cooking old favorites, that remind me of the past. Who'd've thought?

No comments: